Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Leaf Bowls

I made these leaf bowls in a two part pottery class not to far from my home that is taught by a wonderfully quirky and earthy artist by the name of Suzanna Van Schoonhoven Hunter .

For the first class you had to gather leaves that you liked and bring them to class. Then you roll out clay on canvas with a rolling pin to about a quarter inch thick and press the leaf backside down into the clay. Next you cut away the excess clay around your leaf and smooth out the edges. Pulling the leaf away gently you lay each clay leaf pressed side down over a bowl until you have the shape or form that you desire. Now you make feet and it is later fired in a kiln.
The second class was my favorite part as you got to glaze the bowls. The glazes come in all sorts of colors and that you can mix and match just to see what will appear. When you apply it, it does not look anything like the final color so once it has been fired a second time the finished product is a complete surprise (It felt like Christmas when I went to pick them up).
I loved this class and as it turned out the date just happened to be on the eve of this years autumn equinox and I thought this was the perfect way to celebrate the season...

No comments: