Monday, March 2, 2009

Reading Rain(e)bow...

So lately Raine's reading skills have been improving immensely. She is able to read several pages at a time out of books like Junie B. Jones and actually enjoys it, by that I mean understands the sentences she is putting together not just painstakingly sounding out word by word. She reads to me at home sometimes and in the car will take out a book all on her own, shush me saying, "Be quiet mom. No talking. I am reading here!" I am overjoyed by the whole process as I had trouble reading early in life and did not like books until I was almost 16. I was worried at the beginning of this year because it was tough for her as well and she had the same reaction. I wanted so much for her to love and enjoy the worlds that reading can open up. I am happy to say that we are getting there and one of the funniest examples was this weekend. We went out for a mother daughter lunch (this is a big thing as we do not eat out in restaurants hardly ever) on Saturday. I let her pick and she wanted the Chinese buffet which was fine with me (I was secretly thrilled there is just something about all the choices that tickles me pink) and at the close of the meal when I went ask for her to give me her fortune cookie so I could read it she gave me her best "please mother" look and said, Uh mom I can read it myself! Duh!" Well she did much to my delight. Man I am so proud of her...

No comments: