Monday, August 25, 2008

Changing the Way We Do Things

This weekend Raine and I spent a lot of our time getting ready for the coming of autumn and winter this year. We got new clothes, jackets, shoes, and backpacks, but this time with the idea of buying quality so that they may last through the coming years either on cousins or in our own home. We bought fresh blueberries and strawberries from a local farm stand to freeze for the winter, built our compost and picked a basketful of peaches out of our own backyard. All the while doing our best to be ever mindful of the imprint that we leave on this earth. The biggest investment made was at LL Bean where we got a monogrammed backpack and matching lunchbox as well as sneakers the total came close to 100.00, however the backpack / lunchbox is one that she will use for the next couple years and the shoes will be passed down to two more little girls in our family. I have begun to go through our house organizing and downsizing the things that we do not use or need. I try to donate or find new uses for old items rather than throw anything into the landfills and hope to achieve a much more simple existence still filled with the things we love and create, but not defined by the things we own or consume. Every day as I look at how we live with new eyes I try to impart to my child the importance of all the little things we do to make a difference. I show her by example and explain anytime she has a question but the most important way I teach is by involving her in each process. I make it her job to separate the recycling and take her with me when we bring it to the center, it is she that takes the compost out after dinner and turns off the water as we brush our teeth. I try to make her a part of process even if its something as simple as handing me the new energy efficient light bulbs as we change out all the ones in our basement. That way she feels as though it is her responsibility and is proud of herself for doing it. We are far from being light upon this earth but our footsteps are starting to get softer...

No comments: