Sunday, November 14, 2010

Why being messy can save a life!

Take a look.  See that bird up there in my birch tree.  Now look a little more closely.  See his tail feathers or should I say lack there of.  Well let me tell you a little story of pride and triumph, of terror and freedom, of quick thinking and action, but more importantly of the towel on the floor that saved a life!
There was once a sweet kitty that went outside on a fall day.  She was called Tiger Lily and went looking for pray.  She was out but an hour before coming back into the house.  Though you would be wrong if you were thinking that she had brought back a mouse.  I let her in without knowing that in her mouth she did carry, a wee little bird much smaller than a canary.  So when came from the kitchen an odd sort of flutter, I was shocked and appalled at the sound of her kitty like stutter.  Oh no I thought running, because I recognized that cry.  It meant she was stalking a bird that was trying to fly. I was off the couch in a hurry afraid of what I might see, only to find a cat in hot pursuit and a bird desperate to flee.  So I looked around quickly for something  to throw, in hopes that the kitty might let it go.  Within my reach was a towel that I had dropped just that morning, which I threw across the room to startle and give warning. It fell down upon them and tiger lily an away, which left the bird under the towel and me with nothing to say. 
So I scooped up the wee one and brought it outside with me, and uncovered his body in hopes of setting him free. Away did he fly straight into my birch tree, none the worse for the wear minus a few tail feathers you see. So never let anyone tell you to hang up your towels right away, because leaving them on the floor may save a life some day...

No comments: