Monday, July 21, 2008

Cooking With Melanie

So this weekend I didn't have Raine and being in the mood to create I decided to try out a few new recipes that I've been eying for awhile. The first one was a Zucchini Risotto that I came across on another blog by the name of Beyond Salmon, you can find the recipe here...( http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2008/04/zucchini-risotto.html )

I substituted the 1/2 cup dry white wine for 1/2 cup chicken stock as I do not much care for the taste of wine and only ended up using 3 1/2 cups water as opposed to 4. This was the first time I have ever made or even tasted a risotto and all I have to say is "Wow". It takes a little work to make this dish but the pay off is fantastic. It is so creamy and flavorful, completely worth the effort. I highly recommend it!!!


The second dish I made was White / Wheat Blueberry Pancakes and Homemade Blueberry Syrup. Both recipes courtesy Nigella Lawson from her book Nigella Express. I used the syrup recipe as is and slightly modified her pancakes by adding 2 more tablespoons of sugar, replacing 2 of the four cups unbleached white flour with whole wheat, and throwing in fresh blueberries at the last second. Both came out well, the syrup was Divine and so easy to make and the pancake felt wholesome and healthy without compromising any of the taste. I made a big batch and sent over a breakfast in bed basket to my neighbors who admitted that they hadn't made pancakes for themselves in years and thoroughly enjoyed the treat. I love feeding people and practically skipped over to their house at 8:30 on Sunday morning matching blue basket in hand. I can't wait to make them for Raine this weekend...

No comments: